Types of Background Investigations
- (BI) Background Investigation
- (MBI) Minimum Background Investigation
- (SSBI) Single Scope Background Investigation *
- (SSBI-PR) Single Scope Background Investigation-Periodic Reinvestigation *
- (PPR) Phased Periodic Reinvestigation
- (PT-SBI) Public Trust Special Background Investigation
- (ANACI) Access National Agency Check with Inquiries *
- (NACLC) National Agency Check with Law Check and Credit Search *
- (SPIN) Special Investigation
- (ESI) Enhanced Subject Interview
- (REO/RSI) Reopen Investigation/Reimbursable Suitability/Security Investigation
Forget about most of the investigations listed above. Most people need only concern themselves with the ANACI, NACLC, SSBI and SSBI-PR.
ANACI: Used for SECRET (S) clearances; Electronic record checks; Interviewed by an OPM investigator (federal or contractor) only if you have issues; civilians.
NACLC: Used for SECRET (S) clearances; Electronic record checks; Interviewed by an OPM investigator (federal or contractor) only if you have issues; contractors and military.
SSBI: Used for TOP SECRET (TS) clearances; Electronic record checks & numerous interviews of people who know you; You will be interviewed by an OPM investigator (federal or contractor.)
SSBI-PR: 5 year review since your initial TS was granted; If you’ve made some “mistakes,” it could be bye-bye for your clearance; No clearance=No job. It’s game over. You’re on the street!
The SF 86 is the gold standard. Learn the inside tricks that will expedite your clearance. Read the questions very closely. Know what you need to disclose. More importantly, know what you don’t need to disclose.